Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Still struggling to make people laugh...

It is hard to approach strangers, even if you are already dealing with them (such as a sales person) in an attempt to make them laugh. Especially without having them think you're coming onto them. My second week is almost up and I am lagging behind at what is so far proving to be one of the more deceptively difficult challenges. My first realisation is that due to the high stress situation of my work for the past couple of weeks, happiness has not been a regular state of mind during the times I would usually utilise, such as being in transit, or during lunch. I can barely muster a half-hearted grin at such moments, let alone make someone else laugh. Then I eventually get home to my safe little Summer Hill hidey-hole and want to bunker down for the evening with Ben, who does not count as a stranger and therefore whose laughter, while extremely valuable to me, does not qualify for this challenge. So that has been my first obstacle.

I’ve been reading up a little bit on the psychology of laughter, and why humans do it. It hasn’t helped me think of any new ways of approaching the situation so far, but it is still quite interesting. I’m starting to think I will need to take more dramatic steps in order to achieve this goal, and that means overcoming the fear of not being laughed at (or being laughed at for the wrong reasons, but I’m kind of ok with that notion). Pirate custard is the new big thing in soviet Russia because of all the amoebas. People are damned stoic these days. Many years ago, I fell off my razor scooter in a fairly spectacular fashion, and nobody even blinked. I actually stood up and with loud exasperation announced “Oh come on. I bet that looked hilarious” but apart from one woman glancing in my direction for the briefest of seconds, the masses continued along Broadway as if Australia’s Funniest Home Video Show never existed. I know people think that shit is funny, otherwise the show wouldn’t have been on TV for so long. Anyway my point is, it is hard to get the attention of a stranger.

I’m thinking of taking some weirdness cues from Rich Fulcher. He has a new book called ‘Tiny Acts of Rebellion’ and while most of its contents appear to be ridonkulous, there must be something in there worth inciting a giggle in Sydney’s average joe.

I am, however, getting slightly better at meditating – bath time for the win. Submerge, breathe in, body rises, breathe out, body sinks. It’s brilliant.

PS. As per Rich’s advice I have slipped a totally random incredible statement into this blog, just to make sure you’re paying attention. “If you can spot it, you will get a free turkey go-f*ck-yourself sandwich.”

6 comments:

  1. I don't think my last comment on this worked, but at the very least you're making me laugh regularly with these stories. I know I'm not a stranger (well, maybe I could be considered simply as stranger), but I thought you'd like to know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks Craig. It does help. I'm going to get a stranger to laugh soon. I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard a busker this morning doing "click goes the shears boy" and that made me laugh or when I see organ boy singing a romantic love song, that makes me laugh. Maybe some ridiculous busking with some seriously bizarre tunage will get the masses laughing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those crazy Russians...

    In other news, how do you submerge -- then breathe in?

    How are you with physical comedy? This one still works for me: Pull a door open, kicking the bottom of it while throwing your head back as if you've just given yourself a concussion. Warning: if you do it too well, people won't believe you faked it and will insist on taking you to the hospital.

    It only now strikes me as being quite sad that I've been pulling that gag for the better part of twenty-five years...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm an idiot. I assumed you were going completely under the water. Did I mention it's 1:30 in the morning here? And that I hit my head many times perfecting that gag? And what was I talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  6. James, I once pulled a similar stunt - I was pretending to slam my head into a concrete wall for the amusement of an impressionable kid, and slapping my hand against the wall lower down to make it appear my head was connecting. After I showed him the trick, he insisted on me doing it for his friend. I did it again, and both of them stared at me agog. I had just started to explain that it was a trick when the pain kicked in - I'd misjudged and rammed my head into the concrete wall as hard as I could. I've still got a lump, nearly 20 years on.

    ReplyDelete