Sunday, August 15, 2010

Human

21 postcards in. I'm pleasantly surprised at who has come through with the goods. I often wonder what our postman must think.

Due to what has been a high-stress, high-emotion and high-activity week, we decided against doing the Manly walk today (which turned out to be a good move because there was some rain earlier too). Instead we slept in, treated ourselves to a big breakfast, and rented a Wii game that we are pretty appalling at so far. I'm starting to feel human again.

I went and bought a copy of "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter", apparently a modern classic, by Carson McCullers. I'm assuming this is the book Tim challenged me to read, as Cormac McCarthy didn't have one of the same name. There is something wonderful about a new book, particularly one that has been recommended to you. A fresh paperback, waiting to be devoured. At the moment I'm struggling to read "The Pillars of Hercules" by Paul Theroux - not because it isn't interesting or well-written, on the contrary, but I'm just not engaging so far. Travel books aren't really my usual bag. So it will be nice to have a crunchy novel to bite into again.

I'm pleased to say that we've done what feels like a lot of cycling the last 2 days, and it has been very rewarding. I'm becoming more familiar with Woodstock's movements and quirks, and feeling the bond grow between bike and owner. I'm still not confident of taking the journey to work - mostly due to a combination of a couple of steep points and peak hour traffic - but I"m considering maybe doing a partial ride (catching the train the remainder of the way).

I realised last night that somewhere this week, I stopped meditating. Whoops. I'm pretty sure the last time I did it was Tuesday. Must put together a game plan for making this one stick, because I think if I can get into a routine, this will be really good for me. My brain is unrelenting for most of the time, so being able to train it to eat a chill cake would be nice.

Ben is in the kitchen making cookies, so I think I'm going to go and write a song for Bart's challenge now. The idea for Song 1 has been floating about in my head the last few days and I think I can knock it out relatively quickly (she says, with naive overconfidence).

No comments:

Post a Comment