Monday, August 9, 2010

I'm a fish, yo!

Carla and Jez and junior (very recently discovered to be pink flavoured) have decided I should learn to cook a meal for each day of the week without using a recipe. Kitchen anxiety is something Carla and I have shared over many years, but I think we’re getting better at it. I like this challenge.

I cooked salmon and fried rice last night, which I kind of already knew how to do, so I’m not sure if that’s cheating. But I didn’t use a recipe, and Ben ate all of it, so it must have been ok. Admittedly I did have to make 2 trips to the shops after realising we didn’t have certain ingredients, and in the end still didn’t have soy sauce, but I couldn’t be bothered going back a third time. So, I can definitely get better at this.

I forgot to take a photo of it, so instead here’s a picture I drew in Paint: As tasty as it looks!
(ok, picture may not be entirely accurate. Fish was filleted and therefore did not have creepy head still attached and was certainly not speaking. And come to think of it, it was not nearly as phallic as that. Also, bed of rice looked a lot more like rice and less like kitty litter. Anyway.)

Planning to next tackle a vegetarian dish - we practice “Meat is Murder Thursday” (thank you Morrissey for the name) so as to make sure we have at least one meat-free day a week, plus we have loads of vegetarian friends so it would be nice to be able to cook for them too. To counter, there’s a lamb cutlet recipe on Masterchef I’m keen to take on. And if Heath’s challenge pans out, I’ll need to learn how to make lasagne too... but that’s another story for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment