Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fact of the day

Most Sydneysiders probably already knew this, but I just learnt that Sydney Harbour is actually called Port Jackson. We just call it Sydney Harbour because we’re lazy, which is ironic because it has a whole extra syllable in it. How about that, eh?

As per Mel’s challenge, I am trying to grasp exactly how far it is from the North Head in Manly to Watsons Bay. It looks kind of like this:

(sorry I don't know how to make the picture bigger)

Since there is not one route that seems to go the whole length around, the best I can muster is that the whole thing is probably around 100kms, dependant on where you count Parramatta River as starting from. Mel’s original request states that I start at Watsons Bay and work my way around, but I think I might do it backwards and start from the furthest away point. As long as I resume my travels from the same place as I finished previously, it all still counts. I’ve never actually walked the Manly to Spit Bridge route and I know that it is stunning, so I’m keen to try it out. Watsons Bay is glorious as well – Ben and I spent the day after our wedding there scoffing ourselves stupid on seafood paella - so it will make a fine finish line. I’d like to find out what parts of the coastline are able to be navigated by bike, so that I can cycle as much as possible. I have already established that Manly to The Spit is not one of those parts. So! A leisurely Sunday walk will see the initiation of this particular challenge. I’m planning a ferry ride across, walk up to the North Head, walk back and have lunch, then the rest of the track round to the Bridge, bus home. Any takers?

Of course, I may just sleep all weekend instead. That seems incredibly appealing just now...

Oh and my band is playing at the Lansdowne on City Road tonight, in case anyone reads this at the last minute and is in the area. We're on at 8pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment