Sunday, September 5, 2010

Zoom zoom - Mach II

Things I learnt from driving lesson #2:

1. It is definitely easier to see in the daytime.
2. The clutch comes off before the handbrake on a hill start.
3. When parking against the curb, try to line your car up with the one in front of you (sounds obvious, but it had never occurred to me)

It was raining this time, and I'm still driving at what is probably an annoyingly slow pace, and still have no idea where I am most of the time. I'm finding myself checking the mirrors out of necessity rather than because I think I should now; a handy development since before I wasn't really taking in what it was I was seeing. I stalled a lot more times during this lesson than the previous one though, which isn't so reassuring. I now remember the feeling of frustration I used to have when learning to drive - that "why can't I just do it already??" feeling. I'm not quite there yet, but it reminded me that the feeling exists and to probably expect it in the next couple of lessons.

Gears still don't make a lot of sense to me and I think that is my biggest hurdle. I think I can technically drive now, but knowing when to change and getting it done in time is a challenge to me. Funny how just about everyone I know can drive a car, and it's just a thing that people do, and yet I'm still struggling to grasp the concept of gears.

We're going back to the country next weekend so I'll get a chance to bust out the driving chops in a place with wide streets, no traffic lights, no roundabouts, and no hills. Exciting. My parents have an automatic car so it kind of defeats the purpose of me practicing the gears, but it is better than nothing.

4 comments:

  1. Another good tip for when parking, if in front of big window, you can look at the window as well to line yourself up and make sure you don't hit car behind you. Tobi tip #13.

    :) Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mach II = 2 x the speed of sound - you may now tick off my secondary challenge of setting the new world landspeed record

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tip #1
    Never crack it and say it is impossible and pull on the handbrake and get out of the car and storm off, whilst the cars are banking up behind you (yes, I did this, my poor poor father!)

    Tip #2
    Slowly off the clutch onto the accelerator otherwise you may bunny hop for about 1/2 a block (once gain, my poor father, thankgod he is a very patient man)

    Tip #3
    Patience

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips! I've managed to avoid bunny hops but will keep in mind the thing about the handbraking and storming off.

    ReplyDelete