Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Request line open

Besides honing my ideas for the Yeats thing, I’ve decided to start learning some songs for my busking challenge. I was walking through the tunnel yesterday and heard 2 guys (I think they were called ‘2 Boys 1 Box’ or something similarly reminiscent of that disturbing web video I wish I’d never watched) doing a cover of… oh crap what was it. I want to say Cut Copy but I always get them confused with The Presets and it is probably neither of them. Crap. Well anyway it was a fun song and they sounded great and it actually made me smile and want to give them money. Unfortunately for them I have many, many minus dollars at the moment, so all I could offer was my happiness that they weren’t that aboriginal guy who only knows 3 chords on the guitar and plays didgeridoo at the same time. That guy drives me nuts.

It hadn’t really occurred to me until then that I didn’t have to learn Oasis songs after all. I can play songs that I like, or other songs that would just be interesting to learn to play.

“Novocaine For The Soul” by The Eels is immediately on my list. And maybe “Hearts A Mess” by Gotye. And something by Blur. And something by The Rapture. And since this challenge came from Kim T, I should probably throw a Whitlams song in there. “No Aphrodisiac”?

I am now taking requests… please leave your suggestions in the comments section and I’ll do my best to add them to my repertoire.

11 comments:

  1. Oh Yeah - End of fashion, wierdly I am listening to that every morning I step outside my door and it makes the trek to work seem somewhat brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Live and Let Die' by Wings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice's Restaurant (all 18 minutes and 34 seconds of it) by Arlo Guthrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Song 2 by blur - that shouldn't be too hard...Wooohooo!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have to have either a Gunners song or a Bon Jovi song in there. Maybe both. Isn't it compulsary?
    I'm voting for: 'Sweet Child O' Mine' and 'Wanted Dead or alive'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also - Can you do 'One Crowded Hour' Augie March? That song makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Husband's idea!

    Also, 5 Days in May by Blue Rodeo. (Didn't you meet them?) I dunno, it might work as a busking tune with an adjustment or two.

    ...Oh yeah. And the Doctor Who theme. I dare you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the suggestions so far folks, they have all been added to my list... except maybe Alice's Restaurant, sorry Kat. I want people to give me money, after all, and 18 minutes is a long time to keep someone's attention. Perhaps I'll do an abridged version. KEEP 'EM COMING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm What about 'Golden Brown' by the Stranglers or 'Under The Milky Way' by the Church....

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Satellite of Love" by Lou Reed please

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Mister would you please help my pony" by Ween. A classic!

    ReplyDelete