Thursday, April 7, 2011

Happier in the Canyon

Seeing as songwriting is about the only thing I've done lately that even remotely relates to this blog, I'm going to milk it. The surprise song has been utilised as a weapon of love on the occasion of our guitarist's engagement party. A weapon of love. This band is dangerous, man. We make people cry. Curse this talent!

The song is called "Happier in the Canyon" and Jacob started writing it as an ode to the day he proposed to his lady love. He wrote all the music and some words in the bridge and then went "uuh, I don't know how to finish this" and asked if I'd help him make it into a real song. Of course I obliged. I wrote some stuff about rivers and stars and life journeys and it was all very straightforward and simple and sweet. I'm usually a bit uncomfortable being so direct in love songs. But, sometimes when you know the purpose of the song, it just kind of writes itself. And best of all, I think she liked it.

2 comments:

  1. Damn, I knew I should have brought my flip camera and filmed the thing. You could have posted it here.

    ReplyDelete