Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Queensland

Everything that is happening in Queensland right now is so heartbreaking. Some of the footage we’re seeing is sickly fascinating, and the scale of it is almost too large to fathom. And the worst is yet to come. These images and stories are overwhelming to say the least. I keep thinking of our perfect little flat, all the cherished possessions we’ve slowly and painstakingly accumulated, all the love we put into making it our own. And we’re only renting. Imagine if we owned the place, as well as everything in it, and then have to watch tonnes of water sweep through and destroy everything. We see people clambering onto their rooves for safety – my Dad wouldn’t be able to do that, if it were my hometown going under. So many elderly and young children trying to find their way out of this. So many families. So many helpless animals. What happened to all the people in hospitals? I don’t even know. Businesses, livelihoods, properties… I just can’t believe it’s happening. It's 75% of the state under water. That's water covering an area larger than France and Germany combined.

Last time I thought we needed to hold a fundraiser, I got caught up in making it too… big. A tragedy needs all the support it can get. I realise now that the degree to which I was trying to pull it off was never going to work, and as a result, there was no fundraiser at all and nothing to show for it. We’re never going to get a big venue on our side to host it without costs. We’re never going to get a big-name act to donate their time headlining for a bunch of smaller indies without a promoter. I know. I tried. So, in another one of those important side lessons we unintentionally learn, what’s really important is working with what you’ve got. Every little bit helps.

It may not end up being a ball, and it probably won’t host 500 people, but damn it, we’re going to raise some money. I’ll keep you updated. In the meantime, please show your generosity here: http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html

No comments:

Post a Comment