Thursday, December 9, 2010

There must be opportunity for a vampire joke in here somewhere.

#27: Give blood. Tick!

So, I survived my first foray into blood-giving. Yay me!

The kindly folks at Leichhardt mobile blood bank went out of their way to make me feel special as a new donor. I couldn’t bring myself to actually look at any of the process taking place, but I lay there for just under 10 minutes or so, squeezing the little squeezy toy, staring at the ceiling and trying to concentrate on ‘Breaking The Girl’ which was being piped into the building from somewhere. The anticipation of it was the worst thing. Then the jab. Then it just kind of aches a little, but it isn’t so bad. It was only around halfway through that I started to feel a slight pulse of the blood flowing out. They filled 4 bags (it’s around 470mls, which is less than 10% of the total body’s volume of blood) and I can tell you, it was top grade stuff. It was red and everything.

They let me lie on the table for a while longer since it was my first donation, and then they gave me some Anzac cookies, a Mars Bar and a mini packet of Doritos. Best justification of treats ever! I could get used to this.

1 comment: