Saturday, December 11, 2010

Kitty, I'm A Train Wreck

Two videos in as many days? I know. It's utter madness. And I also did laundry, bought groceries, played Wii, spent a ridiculous amount of time fiddling with speakers and amplifiers just so I could get disgruntled at my lack of synthesizer skills, accidentally terrified a cat, and momentarily became entranced by the pounding bass emanating through the ceiling.

"Kitty, I'm a train wreck" is a lyric I've had floating about in my repertoire for a while, waiting for an appropriate place to live. I tend to find that my own stuff is slightly darker than the material we write collaboratively in Dusker, and I'm also not a guitar genius like Jacob, so the songs always start from a different place. I'm feeling more at ease with writing on my own again, something I haven't done since the early London days circa 2007.

Anyway, I came up with the chords at the end of last week but only got around to writing the lyrics and melody inside my own head yesterday. Today was the first day I have physically put them together, so it is reassuring that it comes together the way I expected it to.

It wasn't until I made this recording and played it back that I realised the melody in the bridge is exactly the same as one of the chorus lines in 'Breaking The Girl'. Damn you subconscious! Next time I give blood I hope they are playing Beatles records.



I've emptied the cupboards, I'm ready to go
These clothes that don't fit me
Have turned me into somebody that I don't know
I'm hailing a taxi and not looking back
The truth has been twisted
And distorted, and it's going to crack

Kitty, I'm a train wreck
Kitty, let's not hit the skids
Kitty, we've got to just
Tell it like it is, tell it like it is

The sire keeps making his crazy demands
Pointing and shaming and shaking and blaming
But never looking down at his own hands
You're wearing the heart of a lion on your sleeve
You deserve a medal
For all of the shit that they'd have you believe

Kitty, I'm a train wreck
Kitty, let's not hit the skids
Kitty, we've got to just
Tell it like it is, tell it like it is
Kitty, I'm a train wreck
Kitty, let's move to attack
Kitty, I'm sorry that
You carry that load, you carry that load
On your back

You carry that load...
You carry that load...

2 comments:

  1. "Kitty on my foot and I wanna touch it..." erm, oh wait....never mind.

    I'm starting to believe forcing oneself to make art regularly creates more opportunities for the magic to happen. It's hit and miss, we can't always be on, but we train our brains to be more receptive to and create a space for inspiration when we treat creativity as a daily activity and not just wait for the inspiration to move us. I really like what you come up with, be it under pressure or not. It all has some gold in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you... that was the idea, so its nice that it is (kind of) working. Yes. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete