Thursday, October 21, 2010

Meditation update

I have been practising meditation in a range of formats and with fluctuating levels of success. Here is a pretty exhaustive list of stuff I’ve tried:

- Sitting cross legged
- Sitting against a wall
- Kneeling
- Lying down
- In the bath
- On the train
- Outdoors
- Vibrational meditation (ie. Chanting and mantras)
- Breath watching
- With music
- Without music
- With audio instruction (these are really helpful)
- With binaural sound recordings (this seems to work best for me)
- Focussing on one sound
- “Empty mind” meditation (I am terrible at this)
- “Mindful” meditation (trying to become super aware of everything)
- Eyes closed
- Staring at a candle
- Staring into middle distance
- Wii Fit Zazen (My highest score is something like 96 seconds… but frankly I’m not sure it counts as meditation)

My dedication to this task has been abysmal of late. I have started setting an alarm so that I am forced to go at a certain time and find somewhere to meditate, and I think it is important to do it at work whenever I can. It is entirely necessary. I spend a lot of time internally talking myself out of quitting. My boss calls it “highly strung”.

No comments:

Post a Comment